About Me

My photo
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Trying to reach my full potential as a masters runner

Saturday, December 11, 2010

What was I thinking?

So last night I went out with some friends after work. It was supposed to be an early night - meet at 5:30 for beers, have some dinner, home by 8 or 9 the latest...at least in my mind that was how I had it planned out.

Oh the best laid plans of mice and men....

To explain, these are high school buddies. There's a core group of about 8 of us who have stayed in touch over the years. Our main bond is golf. We played most days during summer vacations throughout our teen years and every two years we go on a week-long golf trip to Florida, that seems to be more fun the older we get.

Two of the group no longer reside in Ottawa. The six who still live in the area, try to meet on a bi-monthly basis for drinks and dinner. Included in this group is my new coach and old friend Ian - who, btw, in reference to my screw up on Tuesday's run, says I'm just stupid and don't need glasses.

Historically we've wrapped things up around 8pm.

However, last night I had invited another high school friend to join us. I ran into Ian (no not my coach) the previous Friday night while out with friends from work. I hadn't seen him in some time and while he wasn't part of the golf group, he knows everyone and I figured it would be a good opportunity to catch up.

Well one thing led to another and I didn't get home until after midnight. I feel like crap today!

Now I could deal with the headache etc if I didn't have shit to do - a 7k run, 4 hours of work on a special project I'm involved at work and a Christmas party at one of Anne's (my girl friend) friend's tonight.

Plus, I feel a cold coming on.

Getting old sucks! Back in the day, I'd be out until the wee hours on a regular basis and always able to meet the call the next day.

Oh well time to suck it up and get moving. Caffeine, Tylenol and Cold FX....the true breakfast of champions!

Wish me luck.





  

2 comments:

  1. I agree with Ian. You might need glasses, but I don't think that has anything to do with you doing the wrong workout ;-)

    Maaahaha... Hey, I just realized you wrote "caffeine, Tylenol and Cold FX" instead of "cup of tea, Tylenol and Cold FX" which would have been more accurate. Hehehehe...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ian will be pleased you agree with him. :) And tea has caffeine in it, more than coffee I believe, so "caffeine" was accurate.

    ReplyDelete