About Me

My photo
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Trying to reach my full potential as a masters runner

Saturday, December 18, 2010

Another building block

I ran 8k again today. Nothing too strenuous, 2k@5:10, 4k@4:45 and 2k@5:10.

I mixed up the incline throughout the run, getting up to a 3 percent grade a few times. It felt good and alternating the incline like that, I believe, makes the run more realistic, like running outside. It should help build some leg strength, not as much as running hills, but it will contribute to my overall success in January.

As I said, it wasn't a tough run, but every kilometre counts.

It will be interesting to see if Ian alters what he had planned for my training plan over the next two weeks, given I missed two runs this week due to a cold. In the past if I missed a training run, I usually just let it go and didn't try to make it up later on. I'm not sure if Ian will suggest doing that or alter his original plan.

Tomorrow I have a 17km long run to get in. I plan to run the first 9K outside as the paces aren't fast and I should be able to maintain them even on the snowy sidewalks. Then I'll go inside and complete the last 8k on a treadmill as there are stretches where I'll need to run at a 4:30 per km pace.

So despite a bit of a set back this week with a cold, I'm feeling confident that I'm on track to run a 1:30 or faster half marathon in a few weeks.

1 comment:

  1. Why don't you put the treadmill on the front porch? Then you don't have to stop. You can just run right up after your 9K and hop on!

    ReplyDelete