About Me

My photo
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Trying to reach my full potential as a masters runner

Sunday, December 26, 2010

Baby it's cold outside!

It was 7:30 am and I was getting ready for my Sunday long run. I was determined to do the entire 20k outside no matter what the weather conditions. 

According to the Weather Channel it was -11C and supposed to climb to a balmy -6C by the afternoon. I figured with the right clothing I'd be just fine. So I layered up, put on my balaclava, toque and off I went at about 8:15 am.

It was cold to start, but by the 2 kilomtere mark I was warming up nicely. Then at the 3k point, when I shifted from a 5:15 per km pace to an even 5 minute pace, the route I had chosen turned north, right into a 5 to 10 km wind.

Have I mentioned that I hate winter?

Anyway the next 7k were a bit frosty, but the sun came out at about the 5k point to help warm things up slightly. The head wind meant I had to work harder to hit and maintain my paces, bit it did feel good to be outside.

Soon I was turning to head home at the 10k mark and with the wind at my back, it was much easier to hit the faster paces the middle part of the run called for - 4:50 per km from the 9 to 11k mark, 4:40 between kms 11 and 13, 4:30 from the 13 to 14k part of the run and then 4:45 from the 14k point to the 17k point. Then it was back to a 5:15 per km pace for the last 3k of the run.

Despite the cold wind, it was a successful training run as I was able to hit and maintain my paces. I also ran a negative split and felt strong doing it, with lots left in the tank at the end.

With only three weeks until race day, I feel confident and look forward to a much deserved rest day tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment