About Me

My photo
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Trying to reach my full potential as a masters runner

Monday, December 20, 2010

Paying it forward

I've been running seriously – i.e. training for and competing in races - for almost 4 years. In that time I’ve lost about 25 pounds and feel I’m in the best physical condition of my adult life.

Over that time I’ve shared my running experiences with non-running friends, explaining how in addition to contributing to my overall improved fitness level, running is enjoyable, rewarding and addictive. Most of them usually just laugh, not buying the enjoyment part, and/or say they could never run a marathon.  

However, recently two friends have expressed interest in running. I’ve agreed to help them develop training plans based on my running knowledge and expertise, as limited as it might be.

Glen was the first to jump into running after hearing about my Boston Marathon experience and how I planned to qualify for and run the New York City Marathon next. So, Glen proceeded to enter the NYC via the lottery process…ambitious to say the least…crazy is likely more accurate! 

Tackling a marathon without first running a few other races at 5k and 10k distances and building to a half marathon might be a recipe for disaster. 

So I have Glen training for the Forest City Half Marathon May 1st in London, Ontario and we’ll try to fit in a shorter distance race sometime in late February or mid-March. And if by some miracle he gets a lottery spot in NYC, we'll develop a plan and race schedule from there.  

You can check out his progress at http://runjoggyrun.blogspot.com/.

Now Glen was in good physical condition before beginning a running regime, playing soccer on a regular basis, eating healthy and he has youth on his side, he’s only 36. In addition, he’s built like a runner - about 5 feet, 10 inches tall and lean. I’m confident with some consistent training and barring any injuries, he’ll be able to turn in a 1:40 or under time in May.

Now my other friend, Dave, is a different story!

I’d describe him as the polar opposite of Glen. He’s 50, out of shape, loves his beer and would rather watch most sports on TV in a pub than participate. However, he has played many sports in the past, is athletic and I feel has potential.

He's not planning to run a marathon, but I believe he’s motivated to get himself back in shape and sees running as a way to do that. My master plan is to build him up to running a 5k race in the spring or early summer and then a half marathon in the fall. 

And while I think he may be a bit overwhelmed by the thought of running 21.1 kilometres now, if he commits to the process I know he can do it....now I just have to get him to buy in! 

   
  

2 comments:

  1. I'm actually 5 feet 11-and-a-bit inches!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe when you had hair, but now you're 5'10" max! An by "lean" I meant skinny!

    ReplyDelete