About Me

My photo
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Trying to reach my full potential as a masters runner

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

I survived!

Ok I'm starting to hate Tuesdays! That's the day Ian usually schedules an interval run at a very fast pace...well at least it's fast for me.

Today it was 12k total, with 8k in the middle of the run broken down as follows: 3k @ 4:05 per km, then 1k @ 4:15 per km, back to 3k @ 4:05, then 1k @ 4:15. Prior to the run I had reservations about whether I could handle the pace for that distance.

I was to find out those reservations had merit!

After the usual 2k warm-up at a leisurely 5:15 per kilometre pace, I dialed it up a few notches and was enjoying the feeling of pushing myself to run hard. The first interval seemed to be over just as fast as it had started and I dialed it down to a 4:15 pace for 1 km and recovered nicely. I never thought that pace would feel "easy", but today it did!

Well that "easy" feeling was soon replaced with a lung-burning, energy-zapping pace that had me wondering why I was putting myself through this torture? I mean really, was all this pain worth it?

Somehow I was able to fight off all the negative thoughts and the urge to hit the down arrow on the speed control, hanging on for the full 3k. But let's just say I was very happy to see the 10k mark appear, where I was quick to reduce the speed to 5:15 per km and cruise home to the finish.

Now, a few hours removed from that experience, I'm glad I fought that inner voice telling me to slow the treadmill down and pack it in. And I know the effort and pain invested now will pay off on race day.

It was a hard run, but hey, no one said training for a 1:30 half marathon would be easy!

        

No comments:

Post a Comment