About Me

My photo
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Trying to reach my full potential as a masters runner

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Hello blogging world!

Well I'm no Tiger and I'm sure the blogging community wasn't anxiously awaiting my blogging debut, but here I am...please be gentle!

I'm not really sure how blogs are supposed to work, but I thought I might have some ideas and viewpoints of interest to share with others on two of my favorite things - golfing and running.

First, some background. I'm an ex- golf professional that gave up the golf industry 10 years ago to pursue a new career in the federal government. Strange perhaps, but after 15 years in the golf biz, I was ready for a change and finally found a use for my college journalism diploma. So began my new life in communications for the public service. Over the years I've advanced through the ranks and transitioned from communications to our department's market development branch.

I've continued to golf and have competed as a reinstated amateur in local and provincial tournaments on a part-time basis with mixed success. In 2007, with my interest in golf waining, I found a new passion in running. With the help of a friend (now my girlfriend) who had run a few marathons, I started training for my first marathon. Since then I've run three marathons, including Boston this past April, and a number of half marathons, 10k and 5k races.

In late October, following a few failed attempts to qualify for the 2011 New York City Marathon based on a half marathon time -  1 hour and 30 minutes or less for my age category - I felt as though I had taken my running as far as I could on my own, so I hired a long-time friend and respected local coach to help me get to the next level.

So, in the coming weeks and months I plan to share my journey to NYC and talk some golf until the snow melts and I can get back to fairways.

Enjoy and I look forward to your comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment