About Me

My photo
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Trying to reach my full potential as a masters runner

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Maybe I need glasses!

So yesterday was day one of my fifth week training with my coach Ian, the long-time friend I mentioned in my first post. Anyway, Ian sends me a new training schedule every two weeks and it covers a two-week time frame. So Sunday I received a plan that goes from December 6th to December 19th.

Mondays are usually a rest day. So yesterday, Tuesday, was the first run for the new two-week plan. Anyway, I copied the run onto a piece of paper and headed off to the gym at lunch to get in my run. I pin the runs on a bulletin board in front of one of the treadmills in the gym at work to help me remember what I'm supposed to run for that day. Many of the runs Ian provides have varying paces over various distances, especially the interval runs he usually schedules on Tuesdays, and it can be difficult to remember all the intervals, paces etc....well at least for me it is!

And as you might expect the runs have been getting progressively harder as my training progresses and race day gets closer.

So yesterday I was a bit anxious about what I perceived as a tough interval run. Anyway, things started off fine and as anticipated, it got difficult, but I managed. I did, however, think Ian was pushing me just a bit too hard!

Following the run I showered and head back to work, definitely felling the run in my legs. It was only when I got home after work and was logging my run into my spread sheet that I realized I had actually run the Tuesday, December 14th run, not the December 7th run! No wonder it was so hard!

Lately, as the words on my computer screen become increasingly difficult to read and I find myself holding newspapers, magazines and books farther from my face than I used to, I've been wondering if the time to get glasses was fast approaching.

Based on this experience, perhaps that time has come!

1 comment: