About Me

My photo
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Trying to reach my full potential as a masters runner

Sunday, December 12, 2010

Oops I did it again!

Ok Ian might be correct...I screwed up my run again today!

I was supposed to run 14k, I knew that, but when I got to the gym, I realized I had forgotten to write down the paces and distances Ian had planned for me throughout the run. I had looked at the breakdown yesterday, so went with what I thought the plan called for and based on my memory.

So I set out to run 3k @ a 5 minute-per-kilometre pace, followed by 3k @ 4:45, 3k @ 4:40, 3k @ 4:30 and then finish up with 2k @ 5.

The run started out great and I felt good. No effects of the cold and I felt strong. I was focussed on my form and foot falls,something I always do when running on the treadmill. As I often do during treadmill runs, I was varying the elevation between a 1 and 2 percent grade. Things were great!

When I got to the 10k mark things got a bit tougher. My breathing became laboured, my legs started to burn and I was wondering if perhaps my memory wasn't as good as I thought it was! I focussed on fast, light feet and made it through the last 2k at the 4:30 pace and coasted to the finish, enjoying the easy of 2k at a 5 minute per kilometre pace.

A 15 minute stretching session followed and after my shower I was actually feeling good. Maybe I had remembered the correct paces etc and it was just supposed to be a hard run.

When I got home and went to enter my time, pace etc into my log, I realized I had screwed up again! I was supposed to run 3k @ 5:15, 2k @ 5, 2k @ 4:55, 2k @ 4:50, 2k @ 4:40 and then 3k @ 5:15.

Oh well, I survived and took solace in the fact that what Ian has me doing is making me stronger and faster.

Tomorrow is a rest day, then 6 consecutive days of running! No rest for the weary.

No comments:

Post a Comment