About Me

My photo
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Trying to reach my full potential as a masters runner

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Recuperating and looking ahead

Yesterday I went for my first run since the race on Saturday - 5k at just over a 5 minute per kilometre average pace on the treadmill at a 1% to 3% incline.

It felt good to run again and combined with the 20 minutes of stretching afterward, helped to get rid of the stiffness in my legs.

I'm meeting Ian on Friday to discuss my race schedule and training plan for the next few months.

I sent Ian a tentative race schedule a few weeks ago and he seemed ok with it. Included in that is a 5k race here in Ottawa at the end of February that I've already entered. The only other races I've entered are the ING Ottawa Half Marathon at the end of May, the Waterloo Half Marathon May 1st (running with Glen in his first half) and of course the NYC Marathon in November.

So I'm eager to find out what he has in mind to help me prepare for NYC. I had also told Ian that in addition to qualifying for NYC, my goals this year were to improve my times in other race distances. I want to run a 5k in under 19 minutes; a 10k in under 40 minutes and I'd like to run NYC in 3:15 or less.

So, lots of work ahead, but my performance in Georgia has boosted my confidence and I want to keep improving.

Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks!

No comments:

Post a Comment