About Me

My photo
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Trying to reach my full potential as a masters runner

Monday, January 10, 2011

In the home stretch

While my work is just about done, with the race on Saturday, the next next five days are very important to ensuring a succesful result and as important as all the training I've done over the last 9 weeks.

Yesterday was my last longish run, 14k at an average pace of 4:58 per kilometre. Today is a rest day, tomorrow I have an 8k run, a short speed session on Wednesday and an easy 20-minute run Friday to shake out the cobwebs. A far cry from the 63k I ran last week and the 64k the week before, but essential to maintaining my conditioning and preventing me from getting too anxious before the race.

My main focus this week will be to make sure I get enough sleep, eat properly, get my race kit and be ready to go race day.

I fly to Atlanta Wednesday night. I'm staying with my friend Bryan and his wife Madeleine. If the weather is good, we may play golf Thursday, which will help relax me and take my mind off the race for a bit.

Friday I'll drive the two hours south to Warner Robins, the town where the race will take place, check-in to the hotel I have booked, and other than the easy 20-minute jog I have planned, I'll put my feet up, watch some TV and chill. I'll eat a good pasta dinner, hit the hay early and try to get a solid 8 hours of sleep.

So the countdown is on and I can't wait to board the airplane Wednesday night.

2 comments:

  1. Good luck fedrunner! This is step 1 on the great NYC adventure. Don't f*ck it up!

    Seriously...good luck buddy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks MVS...let's hope we're both in NYC in November!

    ReplyDelete