About Me

My photo
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Trying to reach my full potential as a masters runner

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

No fun!

The juggling of last week's training plan spilled over into Monday of this week.

Sunday I just wasn't feeling very energetic, a bit lethargic in fact, so I pushed my 22k long-run to yesterday morning. It was my last day of Christmas vacation and while I wasn't feeling that great, I got up early and headed out the door. I couldn't afford to miss my last long run before race day.

It was cold and a bit windy, but I was layered appropriately, and by the 5k point, had broken into a good sweat. I shifted gears and upped the pace to 4:50 per km for the next 12k.

As the run progressed, my legs became very heavy, I had difficulty maintaining my pace and my stomach started doing flips at about the 17k mark. I was supposed to run the final 5k at a 5:10 per km pace, but was forced to go much slower as I was afraid a faster pace would result in me either throwing up or filling my shorts!

Let's just say those were five of the most uncomfortable kilometres I think I've ever run. I crept along, fighting waves of nausea and willing myself to put one foot in front of the other. Fortunately I made it home without incident, but spent most of the next few hours on the toilet.

I later learned from Anne that her friend Celine had a severe case of stomach flu and had been up all night vomiting. Maybe I picked something up from her on New Year's Eve. Although I wasn't nearly as sick as she was and by this morning I was feeling much better.

So who knows what I had or where I got it, I'm just glad it seems to be gone and didn't force me to miss any training.

  

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like no fun. :( ... But, you pushed through it and finished, and hats off to you for toughing that one out! Less determined folks would have quit.
    Hope you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Feeling much better thanks! I hope something like that doesn't happen during my race on the 15th...that really would be no fun!

    ReplyDelete